The only radio station in the Dallas area devoted to playing the music of the
Big Bands and Great Singers!
The official station for Terrell High School Sports! Hear the games live on KPYK 1570 AM.
News from the USA Radio Network every hour and traffic reports from Metro Networks for those commuting to and from Dallas.
Len Mohnkern plays recordings from his personal collection from the 1920's through the 1960's on Saturday Date every Saturday at 3:00 p.m.
Bob Snyder, Len Mohnkern, Bill Norris, and Dave Washburn sing and play your favorites
every Saturday afternoon at 2:15 on the Bob Snyder Show.
Hear broadcasts of the Terrell City Council and the Terrell School Board of Trustee
Contact us via our Request/FAX line at (972) 524-5795
PROGRAMS | MUSIC | NEWS & SPORTS |
AREA EVENTS | STAFF PHOTOS | ADVERTISERS |
COVERAGE | WEATHER |
Contents of this web site are © 2000-2012 KPYK. Reproduction of any content is prohibited without prior permission. The image of Radio Guy is protected by Federal Copyright Law and "Radio Guy" and "Big Bands and Great Singers" are trademarks of KPYK and Mohnkern Electronics, Inc.
Council Approves Contract
for City Audit Services
It was a short meeting for members of the Terrell City Council last evening, lasting only 17 minutes. Mayor Hal Richards, starting a new term, took the oath of office. Then, the council got down to business, approving the award of the contract for audit services over the next four years. Frank Hinton presented the four bids received, along with the Finance Office recommendation of Patillo, Brown and Hill, LLP, of Waco. The Bid was for $178,700 for the four years, and it was also noted that the firm has more governmental auditing experience than the other bidders, and the city has prior working experience with the firm. The council approved the bid as recommended. Budget amendments resulting from expenses due to the closing of the hospital, the assumption of maintenance of railroad signal lights at Metrocrest Way, and the refund of the city's donation to the Will Graham Celebration in the amount of $19,341, were approved. An ordinance adopting a Rate Review Mechanism for Atmos Energy Corporation was approved. An Atmos Energy representative at the meeting said the company has agreed, upon approval, they would not increase the customer charge by more than 50-cents in any given year, over the next five year period. Council members set the date of May 30th for the council's spring retreat, and June 27th and 28th for the council's budget retreat.
School Board Meets May 20th
Mann, Mosely take Oath
Goldstar transportation, the company that supplies school bus service for the Terrell ISD, requested a rate increase at last night's meeting of the Terrell School board of Trustees, amounting to 2.3 percent, since it was found that the company is operating at a loss and is unable to pay drivers a rate that is competitive with area schools. This increase is in addition to the automatic 2.7 percent increase that is written into the district's contract, for a total increase to the district of 5 percent, or about 75-thousand dollars. Dr. James Smith, intermin superintendent, pointed out that the requested additional increase amounted to 30-thousand dollars, since the district is already contractually obligated to pay the 2.7 percent increase, or about 45-thousand dollars. The increase was approved.
Roofing at J. W. Long Elementary and at the Terrell ISD Performing Arts Center leak, according to Jeff Baska, maintenance director for the district. The warranty purchased was for 15 years, and they are still under warranty, but the manufacturer has shown no inclination to honor the warranty, accordint to Baska. He recommended the board appoint legal counsel to address the issues on a contingency basis, and that was approved.
Dr. James Smith presented area media representatives with certificates recognizing each one's election to the Texas Media Honor Roll. Among those honored were Chuck Mohnkern of radio station KPYK for the station's coverage of school events, including the broadcast of Terrell ISD school board meetings, and KPYK's Dennis Hogan, for his work covering Terrell High School Sporting events, specifically the Kevin Wilson Show on KPYK. Staff members from the Terrell Tribune were also recognized.
Sales Tax Holiday Approaches
for Energy Efficient Appliances
The state’s annual ENERGY STAR® Sales Tax Holiday is Saturday, May 25, through Monday, May 27.
The sales tax break applies to ENERGY STAR® qualified air conditioners priced at $6,000 or less; refrigerators priced at $2,000 or less; ceiling fans; fluorescent light bulbs; clothes washers; dishwashers; and dehumidifiers.
There is more information at: http://www.window.state.tx.us/taxinfo/taxpubs/tx96_1331/.